Saturday, April 19, 2008

Warnock Should Look At Himself Before Blaming Liverpool For Sheffield United's Relegation, Fumes Benitez

Rafa Benitez has responded to a vociferous attack from former Sheffield United manager Neil Warnock, who fumed: "I hope Liverpool never win another trophy under him."

Warnock still holds the Spaniard partly to blame for the Yorkshire club's relegation last season. Liverpool fielded a weakened team in the build-up to a Champions League Final last May and lost to Sheffield United's relegation rivals Fulham.

Warnock, now in charge of Crystal Palace, said: "I'm still very bitter about it. It's part of a big club's mentality. They look after themselves and they don't bother about anyone else.

Liverpool face relegation-threatened Fulham again on Saturday and Benitez is likely to name a weakened side, with skipper Steven Gerrard and full back Alvaro Arbeloa doubtful, and top scorer Fernando Torres set to be rested.

Bolton boss Gary Megson has expressed his desire that Benitez field a full side.

But Bentiez said: "Obviously I will be thinking a bit about playing key games in Europe after Fulham. But the key is to keep winning, we may do it with different players and we need to use other players.

"We have a big squad, good players to come in and we will treat this game just like we did at Arsenal."

The former Valencia boss claimed one side did not have a major bearing on the relegation battle.

"I know there was criticism last season when we did something similar at Fulham, coming from Sheffield United," he said. "But what did they do in their last game? They lost. So I feel it is sometimes better to look to yourself and what you do.

"Teams have 38 games to play each season, that is enough. So you are responsible for your own luck. Look at what all the teams in the middle of the table have been doing recently. They have been using different players, young players, and they have been preparing for the future.

"What did Bolton do in the UEFA Cup with their team selection?. They left players out. I will use the players I believe will be good enough to win this game, and the next one and the next one. I believe 38 games is enough to be successful or not.

"And clearly our squad is stronger than it was last season when we got to this stage. We should have won that game against Fulham then. And I will put out a team I believe can win this time.

"I will be thinking a little bit about Chelsea. I have players I do not want to risk, and I have enough quality in the squad to win at Fulham."

No comments: