Saturday, April 19, 2008

Torres: I Can't Imagine LiverpooL Without Benitez

Fernando Torres says he cannot imagine Liverpool without Rafael Benitez.

Boardroom quarrels at the club have led to speculation about the Spanish manager's future, but his star striker insists the former Valencia boss must remain at the helm.

Speaking to Eurosport, Torres said:

"I have learned a lot with [Benitez], he is someone with whom you can learn a great deal.

"He has a lot of experience in football and a great CV, and we all hope to do better for him. And I have to thank him because he helped me take the first step.

"I don't know about [rumours Benitez will be sacked]. I know that everything is magnificent here, and you can interpret that in whatever way you want. But for the moment I can't see Liverpool without Benitez."

Torres went on to discuss his remarkable first season on Merseyside, thanking his team mates and the fans for making it easy for him to adjust to life at Anfield.

He said:

"I am experiencing some very good moments. When I signed for Liverpool, it was to experience moments like that.

"But I just thought that I would need more time; that it would take some time to adapt. I didn't think I would get there quickly, and luckily everything has worked in the first year, and I have profited from that.

"When I signed here, I knew that people expected a lot from me. The club paid a lot of money, it was a big investment. I knew the requirements that people would have; the spectators, my team-mates and the manager.

"But I have to say that everybody helped me. When you arrive at a club and everyone does all they can for you to integrate, to make the transition easier on and off the pitch, it's not so hard.

"I have to thank Pepe, who helped me a lot, all my compatriots and the coach who is also Spanish, and who has been important for me.

"Above all, the love of the people from the first day. I was lucky enough to score at Anfield in my first game, and from that day the fans were behind me, and that still continues today."

The Spain striker also suggested that the faster football and slower way of life have been factors in his success.

"I think the main difference is the speed. It is a very quick style of football, with a high tempo. There are few interruptions.

"Maybe there is not as much tactical work as matches in Spain, including matches between the 'Big Four'. And that allows you more space, to play quickly with players who know how to take advantage of that space and who can give me scoring chances.

"It's a much calmer life. People respect your private life a lot, they don't hassle you in public places. It is a totally normal life - or nearly normal."

"You can think about football when you need to, and you can go to a shopping centre knowing that you can walk around peacefully. At the end of the day, football is your job and you can concentrate on it more easily."

No comments: