Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Lucas: I Rejected Inter For Liverpool


Lucas Leiva has revealed ahead of next week’s Champions League clash with Inter Milan that he rejected a move to the Italian champions in order to sign for Liverpool.

The 21-year-old joined The Reds from Gremio last summer for €12m but Inter were also in the running to sign him.

"I was in a fortunate position at Gremio because I had achieved some success and I was made a lot of very interesting offers - offers which would have made a lot of money,” Lucas told Liverpool’s official magazine.

"Some of them were in Spain and it's true I had an enquiry from Inter Milan too.

"I could have gone to Spain or Italy and it would have been more like I am used to. But I want to make the most of my career and I want to challenge myself.

"They were all famous clubs but the Liverpool option stood out from the first moment I heard of their interest. Inter and Liverpool meet at Anfield a week today in the first leg of their last 16 Champions League tie.

Lucas has stressed thought that he made the right decision in rejecting the Nerazzurri, and believes Liverpool can beat them.

"I have friends from the international team at Inter; Cesar and Maicon are great players and I will enjoy playing against them,” he continued.

"But I would much rather play for Liverpool than Inter. That was my decision then and it would be the same if I had to make it again.

"I think we have the tools to beat Inter, but it will be an exciting game and my first time - hopefully - playing at the San Siro."

No comments: