Saturday, January 05, 2008

Sissoko Precedes Van Der Vaart?

Rafael Van Der Vaart has confirmed “I can see myself at Juventus,” but in the meantime the Bianconeri turn to Mohamed Sissoko or Javier Mascherano.

The Dutch international’s deal with Hamburg runs until July 2010, but he has rejected an offer to add another two years with wages worth £3m per season.

“I still dream of playing for one of Europe’s biggest clubs and if I signed for Hamburg until 2012, I’d have to wait too long for that to come true,” the 24-year-old told ‘Bild.’

“I still have another two and a half years on my contract and it is quite a long period. It was very difficult for me to turn down the offer, as it was an excellent proposal and the club did everything it could to keep me here.”

Inter and several Premiership and Liga sides had also shown an interest in Van Der Vaart, but he has made his preference very clear.

“I have not yet received an official bid, but I did hear that Juve are interested in me. I can really see myself at Juventus.”

An £11m proposal is already on the table with a five-year contract for the midfielder to be signed in June.

In the meantime, the Bianconeri want a January reinforcement to replace the Olympiacos-bound Sergio Almiron, who has been something of a flop since his switch from Empoli.

Their sights are firmly set on the Premier League and specifically Liverpool, where Sissoko is the prime target for a mid-season swoop.

The midfielder admitted it was “a mistake” to reject Juve’s offer in the summer and is increasingly marginalised after his row with Coach Rafa Benitez.

However, Sissoko would not be able to join his new teammates in Turin until February, as he will be playing in the African Cup of Nations.

Another alternative is his Liverpool colleague Mascherano, who could arrive on loan with a fixed payment set for the end of the season.

No comments: