Saturday, January 05, 2008

Hobbs Relishing Cup Chance

Liverpool's teenager Jack Hobbs is relishing the prospect of facing Luton in the FA Cup on Sunday.

The last time teenager Hobbs got the chance of a cup run-out for Liverpool Jimmy-Floyd Hasselbaink broke his nose.

The 19-year-old has been eased gently into senior action by manager Rafael Benitez these past few months but the former Lincoln City centre-back is likely to find himself involved in Sunday's third round tie at Luton.

Liverpool will be without calf injury victim Steven Gerrard at Kenilworth Road, but it is the absence of defenders Alvaro Arbeloa (calf) and Fabio Aurelio (hamstring) that increases the chances of Hobbs playing.

With Liverpool's other injury problems in central defence - Sami Hyypia (ankle) and Daniel Agger (foot) are still not fully recovered from long-term problems - Benitez may well be prepared to give Hobbs another chance to shine.

Benitez could use John Arne Riise in the heart of defence but Hobbs will fancy his chances of playing.

"We will wait for medical reports but youngsters like Hobbs and Lucas Leiva could be involved," said Benitez.

Hobbs originally made his Liverpool debut as a late substitute in the Carling Cup victory at Reading in September and his next outing came in the same competition when Cardiff arrived at Anfield with Hasselbaink and Kop legend Robbie Fowler up front.

"It was great to start that match and I learned a lot from facing Fowler and Hasselbaink," said Hobbs.

"They may not be in their prime now but they had so much experience. I really had to be on my toes against them."

But Hobbs was not quick enough to avoid colliding with the back of Hasselbaink's head, breaking his nose.

"Initially I did not realise it was broken when I collided with him. At the time the doctor put some ice on it and said it would be fine," added the teenager.

"I only found out how bad it was after the game. I don't think the medical staff wanted to tell me during the interval and I didn't want to be worried about such things then.

"The initial impact wasn't that bad, it only made my eyes water and there wasn't much blood.

"Hasselbaink gave me some stick after the collision but I didn't pay any attention to him."

But the real pain came when Hobbs needed the problem rectified afterwards. He said: "My nose had to be straightened and it wasn't a nice experience.

"The doctor needed three attempts to push it back into place. In the end he said 'Wiggle your toes' and when I did he pushed my nose back into place."

Since then Hobbs has been around the squad, travelling in the party to away matches, and got another chance when Jamie Carragher was injured in the home win over Bolton in early December.

Hobbs came on as a second half substitute and found himself facing Nicolas Anelka.

Liverpool were 2-0 up at that stage and Hobbs said: "One of my mates texted me afterwards and said I had Anelka in my pocket.

"That wasn't the case; he's one of the best around but he'd probably lost interest by the time I got on."

Whether Hobbs is plunged into a televised match against a Luton side desperate for a top club's scalp is open to debate.

Had Liverpool been in a better position in the league and viewing the cup ties as matches to rotate younger players into the action, Hobbs may have been a certainty to start.

But Liverpool need to win and attempt to give the back-end of a disappointing domestic season a significant target like an FA Cup final.

Hobbs said: "It gives me a lot of confidence that the manager has been willing to put me in the team.

"Now that I have played a few games it means he believes in me. I have got to pay back that trust by putting in good performances.

"Hopefully I will get the chance to do that in the second half of the season."

No comments: