Saturday, December 15, 2007

Torres Can End Our United Jinx, Warns Liverpool Boss

He could scarcely be called Liverpool's secret weapon, given his prominence on Sir Alex Ferguson's transfer radar in recent years.

But another accolade was fitting for Fernando Torres ahead of tomorrow's Anfield showdown with Manchester United.

Rafa Benitez is waiting for his first Barclays Premier League win over the defending champions after one draw and five defeats in three-and-a-half years since he left Valencia to replace Gerard Houllier.

He knows why and decided to do something about it last summer by persuading owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett to pay a club record £21million for Atletico Madrid marksman Torres.

Nearly six months on, he has seen enough of the 23-year-old striker to hail him as the missing link to deliver United's scalp.

The Liverpool manager had an inkling of the returns he could expect after Torres stalled over a move to Old Trafford for fear he might be leaving home at too tender an age, and also after he turned his back on Inter Milan last summer after the Italian giants' £27million bid.

He just didn't expect to be benefiting from them quite so early. Torres has scored 12 goals in 19 appearances this season.

Benitez said: "In previous games against United, we have played well, controlled the game and had plenty of possession without creating too much.

"Now, in Torres, we have a player with pace and ability who can give us something different. He gives us another option up front and is the element we have been missing.

"I don't know how strong United's interest was, but there was another club from abroad who topped our offer by £6million," he said, referring to Inter's bid.

"Maybe it helped that I'm Spanish and could speak to Nando (Torres) in his own language. I just know it was not difficult persuading him to come here.

"As soon as I phoned him he was aware of how much I wanted him at Anfield. He knew all about the club and how the Spanish players already here could help him settle in and it was all really easy.

"I didn't see the fee as a big gamble. Even so, I wasn't looking to him to score 20 goals in his first season, just to progress steadily and give us something different. Yet he is well on course for 20 goals and that is fantastic — a real bonus."

Benitez's next objective is to wrap up the permanent £17m signing of Javier Mascherano and the Argentina midfielder has added incentive to shine against United with compatriot Carlos Tevez among the opposition.

"Carlos and I have played against each other before when I was at River Plate and he was at Boca, but never in England," said Mascherano.

"We are good friends and I will try not to kick him, but I know all about the rivalry between Liverpool and Manchester.

"Now that Carlos has moved up this way and is a lot closer, we speak very often. But we have not discussed this game and I don't think we will. For 90 minutes we will be opponents then we can be friends again. I know Carlos will be trying just as hard to be the one who comes out on top, so let's see what happens. It should be interesting.

"I got a big kick on the shin against Marseille but this is one game I don't want to miss and I feel sure I will be all right. Everyone wants to be involved in it and I desperately want to try and make sure we don't lose. I have done everything I can to stay at Liverpool.

"Now they must decide whether to buy me. It is their decision, not mine, because I have done all I can to convince them I'm worth keeping."

No comments: