Monday, July 07, 2014

Lovren: I Want To Join Reds

Southampton defender Dejan Lovren has hit out as his current club and made it clear his thoughts are focused on joining Liverpool.

The Saints have rejected a bid from the Reds for Lovren, an offer he says was for £20million and claims the south coast outfit did not inform him about.

Having expressed his disappointment at that situation, the 25-year-old Croatia international has emphasized that his "head is already at Liverpool".

He has also made reference to what he regards as a lack of ambition from Southampton, who this summer have seen manager Mauricio Pochettino leave for Tottenham, full-back Luke Shaw join Manchester United and midfielder Adam Lallana and striker Rickie Lambert both sign for Liverpool.

Quoted in Croatian newspaper Sportske Novosti, Lovren said: "Liverpool sent the offer and the club hasn’t informed me.

"That wasn't right. I found out about the bid from other people which disappointed me and I realized I've got no business staying at Southampton.

"Liverpool sent a £20million offer and they (Southampton) paid £9million for me, so they would've earned more than twice the amount.

"At this point, I don't know what I'll do and I don't like it.

"It was unbelievable that a few days ago I had an offer of £20million. It was in the morning and by the afternoon the club had said I was not for sale. Frankly, my head is already at Liverpool."

On Southampton, he said: "Honestly, I don't know who the main man at the club is anymore. They are now looking for £25million, but I don't think they'll get it.

"Look, I'd gladly stay at Southampton if the club had any ambitions, if they kept the key players. Not even the Liverpool bid would have dissuaded me."

And on his suitors, Lovren said: "Liverpool is one of the biggest clubs in the world.

"Only Real Madrid has as many fans around the world. The last time I played at Anfield, I got chills when I heard 'You'll Never Walk Alone.'

"I would like to listen to it all the time."

No comments: