Friday, October 11, 2013

Gerrard Inspired Luis Suarez To Stay

It was no secret this summer that Liverpool forward Luis Suarez wanted out of Liverpool - and Arsenal wanted him in.

However, Suarez has today revealed that loyal Merseysider Steven Gerrard inspired him to stay with the Reds this season - the captain was very vocal about keeping the striker on board.

The Uruguayan told his national media: "I do not know if he prayed but what he said is what he feels because he was talking to me all the time.

"Gerrard, for me, is a legend in Liverpool and a great team-mate that helped me a lot.

"His attitude was an extra boost for me to take the decision to stay in Liverpool - both he and the fans of Liverpool influenced much for that. I admire him for the great player he is worldwide.

"For me he will always be a benchmark and at club level he is the best player I have played with in my career, as a person and as a footballer."

Suarez recently faced a 10-match ban after biting Chelsea defender Branislav Ivanovic in April, but has since returned on top-form after a partnership with Daniel Sturridge saw him net three goals in two league games, moving the Anfield boys to the top of the Premier League table alongside Arsenal.

The 26-year-old also told the Uruguayan media that he believes he is calmer now on the pitch, and isn't looking to return to his controversial ways.

He said: "I am aware that in recent matches that I played I've been calmer. I am very self-critical and I realized that playing well, with more tranquility, is helping me a lot.

"I realize and I prefer to continue and not be the same as before."

So far the Red's have won six of their seven Premier League matches - a vast improvement on the start to their last season which saw them win only one match in seven.

Liverpool's next Premier League clash is away at St James' Park to Newcastle United this coming Saturday.

No comments: