Monday, September 23, 2013

Youngster Reveals Gerrard Advice

Ross Barkley has revealed Liverpool midfielder Steven Gerrard told him to stay with Everton to help further his career.

Barkley has been handed opportunities to shine by Roberto Martinez this season and he opened his account on the first day of the season with a goal against Norwich.

The youngster's performances have not gone unnoticed by England boss Roy Hodgson, who handed the 19-year-old a call up to the squad for the recent fixtures.

The Liverpool-born midfielder linked up with Gerrard while on duty with the Three Lions and he was handed some words of wisdom from the veteran.

Barkley said: "He [Gerrard] said the big hitters are going to be looking at me but the main thing for me is to stay with the club I'm at, the team I support and love.

"I was a bit star-struck when I first joined up [with the England squad] but Steven was good to me when I was away. I sat next to him on the coach and he gave me loads of advice.

"He [Gerrard] told me I'm from Liverpool, a local lad playing for the team I support, and there is nothing better. He’s done that throughout his career."

No comments: