Friday, August 23, 2013

Coutinho Could Be As Big As Dalglish

Brazilian midfielder Philippe Coutinho has received a whole host of compliments since joining Liverpool in January but former Liverpool player Peter Beardsley has trumped them all, stating he could be on a par with legend Kenny Dalglish.

In his short time at Liverpool Coutinho has won the praise of the fans and the critics with quick feet, great ball control and the ability to create chances.

Beardsley, who played in the Liverpool team of the late 1980s that won the First Division title in 87/88 and 89/90, has said the Brazilian is a better player than he ever was and could even be as big as Dalglish if he fulfills his potential.

“I love Coutinho. He is outstanding and has unbelievable ability,” Beardsley told the Liverpool Echo.

“He’s better than I ever was and I really mean that. He’s miles better than me.

“If he stays here for a long time he’s got a chance of being as big as Kenny – that kind of stature.

“I look at his ability and I think he could be the new Kenny Dalglish. He is a very special player.”

Beardsley now works as football development manager at Newcastle and remembers watching the 21-year-old at St James’ Park last season.

“I watched him closely that day and he ran the game against us.

“It was a smart signing by Brendan [Rodgers]. I don’t think anyone saw it coming and he was a real bargain.”

Speaking of Liverpool striker Luis Suarez, Beardsley believes Suarez will be forgiven by the fans and will come back after his ban as if he was a new signing.

“With the likes of Kenny and Kevin Keegan some special players have worn that No 7 shirt and I hope Suarez is wearing it this season,” he added.

“The healing process is underway and I think the fans will forgive him. He’s going to be like a new signing when he has served his ban.”

No comments: