Sunday, July 28, 2013

Rodgers Backs Toure To Fill Carragher’s Boots

Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers says he doesn’t need to add another player to his defence this summer thanks to the ‘terrific’ form of Kolo Toure.

The Ivorian moved to Anfield earlier this summer on a free transfer, as Rodgers looked to add experience to his defensive line following the retirement of club stalwart Jamie Carragher.

And the Reds boss says 32-year-old Toure has been in such good form he doesn’t need to worry about bolster his back-line any further before the new season.

‘Defensively, I think we’ll be fine,’ Rodgers said.

‘Kolo has been terrific since he came in here. He may be 32 years of age but he’s super fit and in great condition.

‘He’s a player who has looked after himself all his life. His age is no barrier and he’s someone with a winning mentality.

‘We have a number of other outstanding centre-halves in Daniel Agger and Martin Skrtel. We also have an up-and-coming top talent in Andre Wisdom who will be a very good centre-half for Liverpool in the future. And we still have Sebastian Coates too.’

Meanwhile Toure, drafted in to replace Carragher as an experienced head at the back, admits it will be tough for him to fill the former England international’s boots at this season.

‘I’m still really hungry for more. I still think I can bring more in football,’ he said.

‘This season is going to be massive for me. I will just try to show that I am still one of the best defenders. For a defender, 32 is nothing and physically I feel great.

‘It’s hard [to replace Carragher] because Jamie is Jamie. He was a fantastic player for Liverpool and in his time here, he was amazing.

‘For me, I just like to try to do things my way and I will try to do what I can, but I think it’s going to be really difficult to replace him. I will give my all and it’s going to be a great challenge for me.’

No comments: