Sunday, July 07, 2013

Liverpool Boss Integral For Shelvey’s Move To Swansea

Jonjo Shelvey has revealed that Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers convinced him to join Swansea City.

Shelvey completed a £6 million move to Swansea recently after being told that he was not guaranteed first team football at the Reds by Rodgers.

The 21 year old has said that he is looking to use the move as a catalyst in his career and believes it is key that he has joined a club which plays in the same style that he does.

"Leaving Liverpool was a very hard decision," Shelvey was quoted on Sky Sports.

"But coming to Swansea, who play similar football which Brendan and managers before him installed, is an attraction.

"Brendan said he wouldn't let me go to a club that wasn't right for me. He said Swansea is perfect for the way I play.

"He couldn't guarantee me the first-team football at Liverpool, and he said if could get game time at Swansea then I should go.

"I need to come and play football and get myself to the status that I once had."

Shelvey struggled to hold down a position in Liverpool’s first team last season and often found himself on the bench, but did start the majority of their games in the Europa League, scoring on many occasions before a last 16 exit.

No comments: