Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Lloyd Jones Hoping To Break Into First-Team

Liverpool prospect Lloyd Jones is determined to work hard this summer in a bid to make his breakthrough into Brendan Rodgers' plans next season.

Highly-rated central defender Jones got a taste of the first-team this season when he was named in the squad for the trip to Fulham in May.

The 17-year-old, who has been likened to Anfield greats Alan Hansen and Ron Yeats, is highly-regarded within the corridors of power at Liverpool and he is tipped to establish himself in the first-team over the next couple of seasons.

Jones admits being involved in the first-team for the Fulham game has whetted his appetite to become a regular, but he admits he still has a long way to go before becoming the finished article.

"This season has gone really well for me and it has been a great learning curve for me," Jones told Sky Sports.

"It was a massive experience for me to be involved in the first-team and I really, really enjoyed it and I learnt a lot.

"It has definitely made me hungry to play for the first-team and hopefully I can do that in the future.

"I know I am a long way off from becoming the finished article.

"I am at the first stage of my career and I am determined to work hard to become the best I can."

Despite the season now being over Jones insists he is not resting on his laurels this summer and is working hard to improve his game.

"I am going to work hard this summer," added Jones. "I had some time off, but now I just want to get back into it.

"Hopefully I can impress in training when we go back and if I get the chance in a match then hopefully I can impress.

Seven Academy players all featured for the first-team this season and Jones admits it is encouraging for all young players at Liverpool to see Rodgers give youth as chance

"Yes, definitely it is encouraging for every young player that the manager will give young players a chance," continued Jones.

"It spurs you on when you see your mates go into the first team. You want it to be you and it spurs you on to get to first team a lot quicker."

No comments: