Monday, May 13, 2013

Sturridge Credits Coutinho For Fine Liverpool Form

Daniel Sturridge has hailed Philippe Coutinho as the key to his excellent form for Liverpool.

Sturridge hit a hat-trick against Fulham on Sunday to take his tally to 11 goals in 15 appearances since arriving at Anfield from Chelsea in January.

But the striker insists former Inter Milan youngster Coutinho, who also moved to Merseyside in the last transfer window, deserves all the plaudits after the 20-year-old produced another superb display at Craven Cottage.

“He has assisted me maybe four or five times since he has been here and it is fantastic to be playing with a player of his calibre," Sturridge said.

"It's good to have someone around who is hungry. He has got a lot to prove, just like I have.

We have both come from big clubs where we have not had opportunities to play week in, week out and we are both hungry to show what we are capable of doing.

“He is a quality player. I can't praise him highly enough for what he has shown because it's very difficult to do what he has done in a very short space of time.

"He has made my job very easy, he has been very unselfish, he has put me in many times and it's fantastic to work with him.”

Having struggled for first-team opportunities at Chelsea, Sturridge admits he's relished the chance to play regularly under Brendan Rodgers.

“I’m relaxed, I’m enjoying my football, I’m enjoying being out on the football field and when a manager believes in you and gives you an opportunity you have to go out there and work as hard as you can and, if you can do that, then your abilities will shine through," he added.

"When I played there [at Chelsea] I didn’t play two games as a striker. I played one game, I'd score two goals and then I would be out.

"At Chelsea I didn’t have an opportunity. But it’s the past for me now, I’m not looking back. I wish them all the best in the Europa League final. I hold no grudges against the club."

No comments: