Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Luis Suarez Voted Liverpool's Player Of The Season

Luis Suarez has won the Standard Chartered Player of the Season, as voted for by Liverpool fans.

The Uruguayan claimed a huge 64 per cent of the votes, clear of captain Steven Gerrard in second and the retiring Jamie Carragher in third.

Defender Daniel Agger and January signing Philippe Coutinho finished off the top five.

Suarez topped the Liverpool scoring charts with an impressive 30 goals in all competitions, 23 of which were in the Premier League.

"It's incredible for me," the striker told LFC TV after earning the award.

"This is very important for my life and I know I have the supporters helping me - it's so important."

The 26-year-old has been linked with a move away from Anfield this summer after such an impressive individual season.

He narrowly missed out on the PFA Player of the Year, being beaten by Gareth Bale, but was named in the PFA Team of the Year.

Liverpool finished a disappointing 7th place and failed to qualify for European football for next season.

"My work is helping the team and I try my best on the pitch," Suarez added. "I hoped the team would be in a better position but we tried our best. We are all ready for next season.

"When the manager arrived here it was a little difficult because maybe he didn't know the players or the club.

"The first season for the manager was good for the confidence of the players. Next season we can be better."

The controversial striker has now scored 51 goals in 96 appearances for Liverpool after his move from Ajax in 2011, but the club now faces a battle to keep hold of their star striker.

No comments: