Sunday, April 28, 2013

Enrique Expects Skrtel Comeback

Jose Enrique has ranked teammate Martin Skrtel alongside the best the Barclays Premier League has to offer and backed the defender to follow his path back into the Liverpool side.

After beginning the 2012-13 campaign as first choice for Brendan Rodgers, the Slovakian has made only two starts since the end of January.

Enrique found himself on the substitutes' bench earlier in the season too but has cemented the left-back berth as his own - and expects Skrtel to achieve a similar turnaround.

"I think we have one of the best centre-backs in the league in Martin Skrtel," said the Spaniard.

"Last season he was player of the season for us. For me, when he comes on he will be top-class again for sure.

"In my case it was the start of the season and it was not really good but when the manager told me [I would not be playing] I didn't think to go.

"Last year I played a lot of games for Liverpool and before the start of the season I knew I would play a lot of games because, if I am fit, I can play in this team.

"From the start I tried as hard as I could and sometimes it is good for someone to tell you the bad things you don't want to hear.

"This, to be honest, woke me up and now I am playing well."

No comments: