Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Liverpool Winger Target Wants BVB Stay

Liverpool winger target Kevin Grosskreutz has played down talk of a move away from Borussia Dortmund.

The 24-year-old has been linked with the Premier League in the past, with Reds boss Brendan Rodgers sending scouts to watch the £10million-rated player in action back in November, according to Metro.

But, despite being out of the first team at Signal Iduna Park, the three-cap Germany international insists he wants to stay and fight for his place under manager Jurgen Klopp.

"I have no trouble with Borussia Dortmund and, basically, I don't want to leave. I am not giving up just because I am not in the first team. Borussia Dortmund always were and still are my favourite club,” he told Sport Bild on Friday.

"Until now I have not been offered a new deal that I could sign straight away, but I am looking forward to receiving that kind of proposal."

Despite not playing since December, Grosskreutz has featured 14 times in the Bundesliga this season, with his last appearance coming in the 3-1 victory over Hoffenheim.

However, his contract expires in the summer of 2014, and with less than 18 months remaining on the deal, a transfer opportunity could arise for English clubs.

Liverpool can take heart from previous Grosskreutz quotes if they wish to reignite their interest, with the player admitting that the Premier League was a ‘top priority’ back in November.

"Should I continue with my career in a foreign country at some point, the Premier League of England would be my top priority. I really like the way football is played over there. I have no concrete thoughts on that. In terms of contracts, my first conversation will be Borussia Dortmund,” he told Bild at the time.

The Anfield outfit have already added an attacking wide-man in the shape of Daniel Sturridge during the January transfer window, although the England international is eager to play through the middle if an opportunity arises. Rodgers has hinted that he will try and accommodate the youngster in that position.

However, the manager's 4-3-3 formation will limit opportunities with Luis Suarez the main man for Liverpool. Grosskreutz would be another excellent wide addition for the club if he were to make the Merseyside move, but it appears his heart lies with BVB at the present time.

No comments: