Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Liverpool Legend Unsure Over New Contract

Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher has revealed his frustration at the lack of first team opportunities afforded to him by manager Brendan Rodgers, and admits the Anfield veteran admits he is unsure if a new contract will be forthcoming at the end of the season.

Carragher has started only twice in the Premier League for Liverpool this term, with his most recent appearance coming in the 5-0 trouncing of Norwich on Saturday.

With 720 games played for Liverpool over the course of a career spanning 17 years, Carragher is behind only Ian Callaghan on the club's list of appearance makers, but the 34-year-old is having to become used to lack of regular action.

Despite being in the twilight of his professional years at 34-years-old, Carragher is as hungry to play for Liverpool as he has ever been, and is finding it difficult to accept being a peripheral figure.

"The manager has been great with me. He has tried to keep me involved," Carragher said, as reported by ESPN. "But listen, I want to start. I’m no different to any other player.

"[Norwich] was only my second start in the league this season, which is disappointing from my point of view, but I said I wouldn't complain and I’m just trying to get more starts and be involved between now and the end of the season.

"I've played a lot in Europe, the FA Cup and League Cup, but the Premier League is the most important thing for the club and the players. We all want to play in that, and I’m no different.

"I won't lie, it's been a difficult season for me in terms of starting games."

Carragher's current deal with Liverpool expires at the end of the season, and although the centre-back would prefer to stay at Anfield, he does not know what the future holds.

"I'll chat to the manager at the end of the season," Carragher added. "I'm open-minded and I'm sure the club is. It's not about what I’m going to do, that's something we can sort out one way or another.

"It's up to the manager and the club to make a decision about a new contract. It's down to them. I'm pleased I got a game at the weekend and I'll hope to get a few more games now."

No comments: