Sunday, November 04, 2012

Carragher Backing For Gerrard

Jamie Carragher expects Steven Gerrard to overtake him in Liverpool's list of record appearances.

Centre-back Carragher is no longer a first-team regular at the age of 34 but has currently played 710 games for the club and is second to Ian Callaghan on 857.

Captain Gerrard is preparing to play his 600th match in Sunday's Premier League fixture against Newcastle United but his club-mate thinks he still has a lot more to come.

Carragher, who is expected to retire at the end of the season, thinks 32-year-old Gerrard's match-winning potential means he will still feature regularly even as a substitute.

"It depends when we both finish playing but I expect he will," Carragher told Liverpool's official website.

"When Stevie gets to my position - and I don't know if he'll want to be in the position I've been in for the last six to 12 months, because I've been on the bench a lot - he will still always come on.

"As a centre-back, you don't come off the bench unless there are strange circumstances.

"I would imagine he'll play more games, and listen, he's been a better player than me for Liverpool so he thoroughly deserves that.

"If you look at the Swansea game (on Wednesday), he's still getting brought off the bench to rescue it for us. That's been the way for 13 or 14 years now.

"When that changes, maybe he'll look at it. But he's still expected to produce the Superman act at 32, so I think we're still a while away from that changing."

No comments: