Monday, October 01, 2012

Rodgers Hails Luis Master Class

Brendan Rodgers paid tribute to a striking master class from Luis Suarez after the Uruguayan struck a hat-trick to help Liverpool to their first league win of the season against Norwich at Carrow Road.

Suarez repeated his heroics of last season's corresponding fixture by netting a treble before the hour-mark, becoming the first player in the Reds' history to net hat-tricks in the same away league fixture in successive campaigns.

Nuri Sahin and Steven Gerrard were also on target on a highly satisfactory afternoon for the visitors, but it will be Suarez who will undoubtedly grab Sunday's headlines.

"I remember his game last year and his goals were incredible," said Rodgers. "I've got to say, this was another master class in finishing.

"His first goal was terrific. We built it from behind and played through the lines. There was a nice combination on the edge of the box and he finished it well.

"His second one typifies him because 10 seconds earlier he missed probably his easiest chance [of the afternoon]. He doesn't get disappointed and immediately he gets back onto the ball and with an incredible piece of skill, he nutmegs the defender and finishes with the outside of his foot.

"It was a special day for him - and more importantly, a special day for the team.

"I thought the performance and how we got between the lines, and played and passed, and had relentless possession was pleasing."

The win is Liverpool's first in the Barclays Premier League during Rodgers' tenure - and the manager was keen to highlight the 'outstanding' efforts of his players at Carrow Road.

He said: "Obviously I'm very content. I'm not surprised because our performance level up to now has been very, very good - apart from one game against Arsenal, and when we went down to 10 men away at West Brom.

"I've got to say, the quality of our game and play was outstanding. I know Norwich is a wonderful club and over the past few years it's been a real difficult place to come.

"To arrive here and score five goals, and play like we did, was outstanding."

Meanwhile, journalists asked Rodgers for his thoughts on Liverpool's first-half penalty appeal which was waved away after Suarez appeared to be hauled down in the box by Norwich defender Leon Barnett.

"I thought it was a stonewall penalty," said the boss. "I feel for the guy, I've got to be honest. I think everyone in the ground knew it was a penalty.

"There is nothing we can do. I know how difficult the referee's job is. You'll never hear me criticizing referees and officials often. I want my players to respect them - and I look to respect the referees as well."

"I spoke to Mike Riley in the week and put across my concerns because it has been a trend over a number of games.

"Maybe one day we will get the decisions, but until that day we'll just continue to concentrate on our performances."

No comments: