Wednesday, October 03, 2012

Agger To Play On Despite Injury

Daniel Agger has vowed to continue playing for Liverpool despite sustaining a minor fracture in his kneecap.

Agger has been plagued by injuries since joining Liverpool in 2006 and it was feared he faced another lengthy spell on the sidelines when he was stretchered off during the 2-1 defeat to Manchester United last month.

The 27-year-old was injured when he collided with team-mate Glen Johnson but fortunately the injury was not as bad as first feared and the defender has vowed to play through the pain barrier to help Liverpool’s push up the Premier League table.

“I feared the worst when it happened. When I tried to get up the muscle in my knee just didn’t work. I felt really unsteady and the medical staff thought I had done my ligaments,” Agger told the Liverpool Echo.

“I felt really comfortable and I’m enjoying it. I think I deserved a bit of luck after the problems I’ve had in the past.”

Liverpool recorded their first league win of the season against Norwich on Saturday and Agger believes the 5-2 scoreline is just what the Reds need to push them on for the rest of the season.

“We’ve played well like that in a number of games but the difference last Saturday was that we got the goals,” he said.

“We could have had even more because we created a lot of chances but five was enough. The win was good for confidence and we needed the three points.

“The only disappointment was the goals we conceded. That’s something we definitely have to work on. It’s always easier to win games if you keep a clean sheet. Even when we’re playing good attacking football we have to be able to keep the back closed.”

No comments: