Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Rodgers - I've Lots To Prove

Brendan Rodgers is pleased with the start he has made to his Liverpool career, but is determined to keep fighting to prove he is good enough to be in the job.

Liverpool plumped for Rodgers to replace Kenny Dalglish earlier in the summer and the former Swansea manager has enjoyed a winning start to his tenure.

Victories in both legs over FC Gomel have set up a Europa League play-off date with Hearts later this month, while the Premier League season begins on Saturday against West Brom.

Rodgers is aware that he may still have to win over some skeptical Liverpool fans following just one season of top-flight management before his Anfield appointment.

However, Rodgers has vowed to give his all to bring success to the club and is eager to build on a promising beginning to his career on Merseyside.

"I do feel at home but I will never be complacent," said Rodgers after Sunday's friendly win over Bayer Leverkusen. "I will come in and I'm sure the majority of supporters are still not sure about me.

"I've got so much to prove here. I have got to fight for my life to prove I am good enough to be here. I feel comfortable in relation to my position and work on the field. My promise was to fight for the club every single day.

"We're in a good moment and a good position. We've had a terrific pre-season and we've already started our competitive games in the Europa League. We now arrive into the Barclays Premier League next week with a real strong mindset and hopefully that can continue.

"Certainly, I am very, very pleased with where we're at. The players have shown great determination and they want to learn. They're very happy to work in this way.

"I am delighted with where we're at because I know the vision and where this leads too, and hopefully it will continue to improve."

No comments: