Saturday, August 18, 2012

Clarke - I Was Sacked By Reds

West Bromwich Albion head coach Steve Clarke has revealed he was sacked by Liverpool and would otherwise not necessarily have left the club.

The Scot is preparing to face his former employers on the opening day of the new Premier League season just months after previously working as Kenny Dalglish's assistant at Anfield.

Dalglish was fired in May but Clarke claims he was not shown the door at the same time and there was a chance he might have worked on the backroom staff of Brendan Rodgers.

"I had a chat with Brendan after Kenny had left. We did not go at the same time," said Clarke in The Times ahead of hosting Liverpool on Saturday at The Hawthorns.

"At the time, Brendan told me, 'do not walk away, because maybe we can work together'.

"From there, Brendan pulled out of the race, then came back in. Whatever happened, he got the job. But I actually got sacked by Liverpool.

"After they took Brendan in they must have decided to resign the whole staff.

"That is part and parcel of football. A new manager goes in, the owners wanted to start afresh. I was not lined up to go to Albion.

"I was fortunate there were still two or three jobs available in the Premier League and I managed to get this one."

No comments: