Monday, July 23, 2012

Rodgers Rules Out Suarez And Skrtel Sale

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has played down speculation linking a number of the club's leading stars with moves away from Anfield this summer.

Reds defender Martin Skrtel and last season's top goalscorer Luis Suarez have each attracted attention from a number of top European clubs, and Liverpool's inability to offer either player Champions League football has led to rumours they could both push for a transfer.

However, Rodgers insists that all his first-team players remain fully committed to the club, and have not been distracted by media reports.

Skrtel has two years to run on his existing contract, and after talks over a new deal stalled, his potential availability alerted the likes of Manchester City, Napoli, and big-spending Russian outfit Anzhi Machakala.

"I've heard nothing from any other club," said Rodgers. "Martin has been fantastic. He seems happy and contented. He has fit into my plans and ideas. I will fight as hard as I can to keep the players that I want here and Martin is one of them."

Meanwhile, Suarez, who is currently on Olympic duty with Uruguay and will not return to Merseyside until later next month, has been attracting interest from Serie A giants Juventus, but Rodgers insists the 25-year-old is not for sale.

"I'm confident Luis is really looking forward to playing for us this season and is really looking forward to this way of football," enthused the former Swansea boss. "I have spoken to him and had nothing but positivity from him.

"He is obviously at the Olympics and I wish him well, but I will wish him better when he comes back.

"Unfortunately there is always that rumour, speculation and gossip and until the window closes that will continue. I'm just looking forward to getting every player back. It is important to get the whole group here and get some new signings here."

No comments: