Friday, July 13, 2012

Enrique Excited By New Era

Jose Enrique has outlined his desire to lift more trophies with Liverpool this season and his ambitions of earning a spot in Spain's all-conquering national team.

The left-back watched on as his country lifted a third consecutive major international tournament during the summer and is now back at Anfield and craving further domestic glory.

"Last year I won a title (Carling Cup) and it was amazing with the fans here, I enjoyed it a lot. This season I hope we can win something again and try to play for the Champions League," the defender told Liverpoolfc.com.

"We were away for seven weeks on holiday, but we are back again and it's important to be ready for next season."

The former Newcastle full-back has been highly impressed with new manager Brendan Rodgers since returning for pre-season training and is thoroughly enjoying the sessions under the Northern Irishman.

"I am really happy," Enrique enthused. "For me it is the best way to play football, like Spain did, that's why they are the best at the moment.

"With the manager we play with the ball a lot and we are really happy with him.

"I'm really impressed. I know how he likes to play because we played against Swansea last year and I've seen them many times.

"He has only had a week with us but the training has been great. He is talking to both the young and experienced players the same, and I love that because it is really important to have the same treatment for both.

"The training is all with the ball, what more do you want? It's really hard, but it's very good. We have good players here to play in this way, and I think this season we can impress."

No comments: