Friday, July 27, 2012

Aquilani Aiming To Prove Worth

Liverpool misfit Alberto Aquilani is desperate for a chance to prove his worth at the club after being dismissed by previous managers.

The £20 million signing has spent the last two seasons on loan in his native Italy with Juventus and AC Milan after being jettisoned by Roy Hodgson and Kenny Dalglish.

Aquilani, 28, was signed by Rafa Benitez but arrived at the club injured and never got an opportunity to display his range of skills, but he is puzzled at the treatment he has received from the Spaniard's successors.

"How can you pay £20m for a player and this player is never taken into consideration?" he said.

"I never asked to leave but I was always pushed by the club. I am here and I would like to play for Liverpool but it doesn't depend only on me."

It remains unclear how prominently the Italy international will feature under new boss Brendan Rodgers.

He played in the first half of Liverpool's defeat against his old club Roma in Boston on Monday and is upbeat about his prospects of playing under Rodgers after their initial conversations.

"I had a very good talk with Brendan where we were able to share our thoughts and it was a very positive chat," he added.

"I like his footballing philosophy and I like the mentality he has because it matches my own skills."

Liverpool fans have rightly wondered why a player acquired for such a handsome sum in 2010 has not been able to stake a claim for a first-team place.

But the playmaker remains determined to show Liverpool fans he can make the grade at Anfield.

"The situation changed after Benitez left," Aquilani added.

"In past years, I felt forced out. I never asked to go on loan but they made it clear it was better for me to go.

"I think Liverpool people have to know that I have never said I wanted to leave the city because my family and I were not happy here. This is not true.

"I cannot say I have unfinished business in English football because I really never played but, the little I did, I believe I was able to show to Liverpool fans that I have quality and that I could have helped the team."

No comments: