Thursday, June 07, 2012

Sigurdsson Could Follow Rodgers

Gylfi Sigurdsson does not see himself signing a permanent deal at Swansea and he would be interested in joining Liverpool but he has not yet spoken to Brendan Rodgers regarding a possible move to Anfield.

After arriving in January, the attack-minded Iceland midfielder took the Premier League by storm while on loan at Swansea from Hoffenheim and he seemed set to agree a long-term contract at the Liberty Stadium.

Swansea have agreed a fee with Hoffenheim but Rodgers, who was the manager to bring Sigurdsson to England while in charge at Swansea, has since moved to Liverpool and is ready to hijack any deal.

Sigurdsson, 22, has not put pen to paper on a contract amid the uncertainty in Wales following the departure of Rodgers at the beginning of June and the player is thinking about Liverpool.

"It's just unclear at this moment where I will play," he told Icelandic newspaper Morgunblaoio. "I'd like to play on with Swansea since I was really happy there.

"But after Brendan Rodgers left the club for Liverpool, it changed the situation."

Sigurdsson, who scored seven goals in 18 Premier League appearances, added: "I have said that my desire is to continue playing in the Premier League and Liverpool is completely considered.

"Liverpool is a big club that has a glorious history. The English Premier League is the platform that I want to be on and hopefully I continue to play in that division.

"I expect not to stay at Swansea as the uncertainty going on there and it is not clear who is the boss."

Liverpool transfer talks have yet to take place between Sigurdsson and Rodgers but the former has wished his ex-Swansea boss good luck at Anfield.

Asked if there had been contact, Sigurdsson said: "No. But I got in touch with him when he was appointed Liverpool manager.

"I wished him congratulations and thanked him for a great time at Swansea."

No comments: