Thursday, June 21, 2012

Liverpool And Everton Boosted In Pursuit Of Inter Youngster

Merseyside rivals Liverpool and Everton have been handed a boost in their pursuit of Inter Milan starlet Luc Castaignos after the forward's former club Feyenoord pulled out of the race to sign him.

The 19-year-old joined Inter last summer after scoring 15 goals in his first two seasons at Feyenoord, but the forward was sparsely used last term, making just one Serie A start, and Liverpool and Everton are reported to be monitoring his availability.

A return to Feyenoord was touted as a possibility for Castaignos, but their technical director Martin van Geel says the forward is not on his way back to the Netherlands.

"They (Inter) want to sell Luc rather than loan him," said Van Geel. "Inter even have a price in mind that is even more than we sold him for. For Feyenoord it is absolutely impossible."

Earlier this week Castaignos confirmed his intention to leave the San Siro this summer.

Speaking to Sky Sport 24, he said: "[The club and I] have decided that I will be sold. Inter wants to loan me to an Italian team, but I do not want this. In Italy I only want to play for Inter, so I have decided to move on.

"I left Holland only to play for Inter, but this is not looking possible now, so I will leave. Of course I am sad, but this is football and the club and I have made this decision."

No comments: