Monday, May 14, 2012

Kuyt Rules Out Feyenoord Return

Liverpool forward Dirk Kuyt has ruled out a return to Feyenoord in the immediate future because he feels it would be a step back in his career.

Kuyt, 31, is almost certain to leave Anfield this summer after struggling to hold down a first-team place under manager Kenny Dalglish.

Last month, the Holland international was seen having talks with Feyenoord technical director Martin van Geel, sparking reports he would sign for the Rotterdam club. However, although the player admits he considered a move back to his former club, he believes he still has much to offer a top European side.

''The fact I held talks with Feyenoord indicates I wanted to give it a serious chance,'' he told AD Sportwereld. ''But in many ways the gap is too great at this moment in time.

''If I returned to Holland, I would have to take an 80% cut in my Liverpool wages. If you are 35 or 36, you know your career is almost done. But I'm only 31 and in the prime of my life. I still have two or three years left at the top.

''I still have the ambition and fitness to play at the highest level, a club in a major competition or a big club with European ambitions.''

No comments: