Monday, April 30, 2012

Spearing Never Considered Switch

Jay Spearing insists leaving Liverpool has never crossed his mind, despite seeing a number of international stars drafted into the Anfield ranks.

A product of the Reds' academy system, Spearing has faced a fight to be noticed at senior level.

While the likes of Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher have paved the way for home-grown stars, Liverpool has bolstered their squad with big-money additions on a regular basis.

A number of those - such as Jordan Henderson and Charlie Adam - have been brought in to swell the midfield options at Anfield, providing direct competition to Spearing.

The 23-year-old has stepped up to the challenge, though, and claims he has never considered quitting the club in order to find regular games elsewhere.

"With the club that I'm at, I knew there'd be big players going to want to come to this club," Spearing told the Independent on Sunday.

"I thought to myself I would get myself ready and fight and earn the place I personally think I deserve.

"I had that confidence to prove to the boss exactly what I could do. There was never any inkling to move on. Liverpool is where I have always wanted to be a part of.

"I want to get better and follow in the footsteps of players like Steven Gerrard, who also came through the academy like me, and if I can do that I will be very happy."

Spearing rightly considers the 2010/11 campaign to have been a breakthrough year for him, with 20 appearances made and his progress rewarded with a new contract.

"I was fortunate enough last season for the manager to put me in for the last 10 or 11 games on the bounce and that gave me a lot of confidence going into the summer," he said.

"I sat down with my family and my agent and we said that this year was going to be a big year to show exactly what I'm all about.

"We knew new players would come in and that was something I'd have to deal with. I had to show my capabilities of competing against them and try to get in the first XI before they do.

"It took a little while to stamp my mark but towards Christmas I hopefully proved to people what I'm all about."

No comments: