Saturday, January 14, 2012

Gerrard Targeting Another Deal

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard has already set his sights on earning another contract at Anfield despite only just signing an extension.

On Thursday, the 31-year-old agreed a new deal which will keep him at the club until the end of his career - but the midfielder has not set a date on when that will be.

"I'm hoping to play beyond the length of this contract," he told the Liverpool Echo. "I'm feeling fit and strong and I want to play for as long as I can.

"I don't want to put any time frame on it. As long as I feel good and I'm performing at the top level I'll keep going.

"Hopefully over the next few years I'll earn another contract with my performances.

"But even if Liverpool doesn’t offer me another contract after this one I don't think I could play for anyone else. I've been at this club since I was eight and I'm living the dream."

Gerrard is sure to get a noisier-than-usual welcome when he leads the team out at home to Stoke on Saturday as Liverpool look to build on the positives of a midweek Carling Cup semi-final first leg victory over Manchester City, their second successive knockout win after defeating Oldham in the FA Cup a week ago.

The captain scored penalties in both those games but the Premier League now takes precedence and manager Kenny Dalglish is looking for his side to build on their last home success against Newcastle in late December having struggled at Anfield this season.

No comments: