Monday, January 16, 2012

Carra: Football Is My Focus Now

Jamie Carragher is flattered by talk of a role at LFC after retirement - but insists extending his playing career for as long as possible is his top priority right now.

Fellow Scouser Steven Gerrard signed a new deal at the club last week which will see him adopt an ambassadorial role once his playing days are over.

Kenny Dalglish later claimed that similar talks may be held with Carragher, who made his first Barclays Premier League start since sustaining a calf injury in October as Liverpool drew 0-0 with Stoke on Saturday.

While Carragher would love to stay at the club for as long as possible, his focus remains on adding to a tally of appearances which currently stands at a staggering 684.

"If the manager has mentioned that role, I'm sure we will discuss it in the future," said Carragher, who turns 34 this month.

"Of course I'd like to stay on but that's not something I want to talk about at the minute.

"I still want to concentrate on playing. I want to get as much out of my playing career as I possibly can.

"I'm the same as Steven - we love playing for the club and we just want to help in any way that we can. Last week was about Steven and rightly so. He is the figurehead of the club as Kenny was 20 to 30 years ago.

"Steven is a legend of the club, known throughout the world and synonymous with the club. He totally deserves what he has been given by the club and I think it is a fantastic gesture."

No comments: