Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Shelvey: Luis Made It Easy For Me

Jonjo Shelvey is hoping his display in his first ever top-flight start for Liverpool at Villa Park alongside Luis Suarez will be the springboard to future success with the Reds.

Kenny Dalglish handed him a role playing just off Suarez through the centre - a position he excelled in during his loan spell at Blackpool, and the No.33 turned in an accomplished display.

"I only found out I was going to be starting two hours before kick-off so it was a great feeling and I was buzzing," Shelvey told Liverpoolfc.tv.

"I was surprised to start but luckily for me it was my big chance and I felt I took it.

"I enjoyed it immensely. No disrespect to the lads I played with at Blackpool but to play up front with Luis was just an absolute honour for me. He is so clever and sharp and he made it easy for me.

"It was great to play a part in our first goal. I just tried to help the ball on and Bellers finished it which set us off. I thought we controlled the game and played well.

"It was great to get six points from the last two games and we want to kick on now and keep winning."

Shelvey was making his first ever Barclays Premier League start for Liverpool and chalked up some impressive stats during the 2-0 win.

From 29 passes made he recorded an 82.8 per cent accuracy, had the most shots, five, during his 83 minute outing and also had an assist for the first goal which Craig Bellamy slotted home from a corner.

He added: "I had a few chances and snatched at a few to be fair. I had a little joke with Charlie (Adam) after the game when he had a chance to play me in and went for it himself. Their keeper also pulled off a good save from my left footed shot and overall I was really happy.

"The manager has given me a lot of confidence with the faith he has shown in me. I want to stay at Liverpool now and help this club achieve some success this season. I don't want to go back out on loan and I want to fight for my place.

"I will work hard and try and show what I can do. Even if I play for the reserves I will give 110 per cent because you have to do that every time you represent Liverpool Football Club."

No comments: