Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Sebastian Coates Thanks Suarez For Helping Him Adjust To Life In England

Liverpool defender Sebastian Coates has thanked Luis Suarez for helping him to settle in to life in England after moving to Anfield last summer, describing the striker as his 'big brother'.

The 21-year-old joined from Nacional and has revealed his fellow Uruguayan Suarez encouraged him to make the step of leaving his homeland.

"He is like a bigger brother, not like a father," Coates told Liverpoolfc.tv. "I appreciate very much all the help he has given me since I've been here.

"I'm not sure if he persuaded me to come - he encouraged me. He told me about life in Liverpool, at Liverpool Football Club. He also told me what a great club Liverpool was in Europe and England but I knew that.

"I'm settling in very well. I'm getting used to the city, getting used to the people and getting used to English football. I've had the help of Lucas and Luis and Maxi [Rodriguez]. That helps me very much.

"It is difficult but when I started my career as a footballer I was aware there was a possibility I'd have to move to play football in a different country. You have to adapt and make the best of a situation like this.

"For myself and my family, the most difficult thing is the language. We're trying to learn English as quickly as possible so we can improve our quality of life in this country.

“The other thing is the weather - but I came here to play football, not for the weather."

He added: "I think I've done well so far. We've won the matches I've played in but I've got lots of time in which to learn, and I am learning, little by little.

"The other centre-backs have treated me well and helped me very much. We have a very healthy competition between us because, logically, a player always wants to play football but they've given me a lot of advice. I've been able to learn a lot from them.

"I hope to play many games for Liverpool and do very well for the club. I hope I'll stay here a long time and contribute much to Liverpool Football Club.

No comments: