Saturday, November 05, 2011

Ryan Babel Reveals Regret Over LFC Mistakes

Former Liverpool winger Ryan Babel has revealed that he regrets his 'dangerous' use of Twitter during the latter stages of his career at Anfield.

Babel, who now plays his trade in Germany with Hoffenheim, admits that he is 'addicted to Twitter', and warned that becoming 'too emotional', can be 'very dangerous'.

Babel got into a couple of high-profile Twitter scrapes at Liverpool, one of which still bothers him to this day:

"The first mistake I made was when I was at Liverpool and I hadn't been selected for the squad.

"We were having problems up front with Fernando Torres, Steven Gerrard and Yossi Benayoun all injured, and had to play Stoke away.

"I was left out of the squad completely, and it didn't make sense to me. So I tweeted "Do you guys understand that", to hear fans' opinion.

"Within 15 minutes it was on Sky Spots News as 'Babel blasts his manager'. It put the team and the coach under extra pressure, and when they lost, I felt bad"

Babel must be referring to the 2-0 defeat at Stoke in the 2010-11 season under Roy Hodgson. He shouldn't feel so bad though; until recently, the Brittania Stadium has been a bit of a cursed ground for Liverpool.

Babel seems to be enjoying life at Hoffenheim. In a recent interview with De Telegraaf, he enthused:

“I think I’ve really benefited from the move to the Bundesliga. We do more preparation work at Hoffenheim than I ever saw in England and we do longer training sessions. I’ve never felt so fit".

Babel had a strong start the season, scoring 5 goals in 7 games, but his form has tailed off a bit in recent weeks, and he's failed to find the back of the net in the last 6 starts for his new team.

No comments: