Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Liverpool's Young Defender Signs New Long Term Deal

Liverpool left-back Jack Robinson has been handed a new long-term contract at Anfield after impressing manager Kenny Dalglish over the past six months.

Last season the 18-year-old was called into action on a number of occasions as Paul Koncheskey was sent out on loan and Fabio Aurelio was sidelined with an injury.

Dalglish is said to have been impressed with the assured performances of the youngster and has kept Robinson around the first team squad ever since he played against Arsenal and Manchester City last season.

Robinson joined the club at Under-10 level and became the youngest ever player to play for Liverpool when he made his debut against Hull in May 2010 aged just 16 years and 250 days.

The defender has made five first team appearances and is considered back-up to Jose Enrique who has impressed since making the move to Anfield in the summer.

"I was going for my lunch and I saw Damien Comolli (director of football) on my way through," said Robinson. "He pulled me to one side and said the club wanted to offer me a new contract.

"I'm delighted. There was no doubt in my mind, I was just so excited the club were offering me a contract. I've just got to keep working hard in training. I can't just sit back on this contract. I've got to keep improving and showing people what I'm about."

No comments: