Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Downing Out To Seize Chance

Stewart Downing has set his sights on establishing himself as a regular in the England side ahead of next summer's Euro 2012 finals.

Downing made his international debut in February 2005 and then remained on the fringes of the team for some time as competition for places was fierce.

He has become an increasingly important player since Fabio Capello took charge but recognizes that he will have to keep performing well for the rest of the season to book a place on the plane for Poland and Ukraine.

The Liverpool winger is in the squad for Saturday's friendly against world and European champions Spain and is determined to impress if given the opportunity.

"I'm really enjoying it and I've been involved a lot in the qualifying campaign," Downing said in the Daily Star.

"We've qualified and the important thing for me is to take my chance when I get it and hopefully go to the Euros. I've had mixed experiences with England over the years but I've certainly enjoyed it, even though it has been a bit up and down.

"But I don't want to just make up the numbers. I want to be involved and I want to play.

"The main thing for me is to prove I'm good enough for that level.

"I'm enjoying it at Liverpool and that's the main thing I have to concentrate on for Fabio to pick me."

Downing played a starring role against Bulgaria in September and then came on during the 2-2 draw with Montenegro last month that ensured England's qualification for Euro 2012.

He is confident the Three Lions can challenge for glory next summer if they arrive at the tournament with everyone fit and in form.

Downing added: "I enjoyed the game in Bulgaria. There was a lot of attacking play, I thought we gelled quite well.

"It was nice to get on in Montenegro, be involved and help the team qualify.

"If we can get to the Euros in good shape, then I'm confident we can do well.

"We certainly have the players and the quality."

No comments: