Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Liverpool Star Explains His Intention To Quit Team

International midfielder Joe Cole has explained his reasons for leaving Anfield to join French champions Lille on loan, insisting he hopes to move permanently as Liverpool are now a 'settled' team under Kenny Dalglish without him.

Cole evidently feels that he is no longer a part of that 'settled' squad, though his ongoing loan spell at Lille has been a resounding success with the English midfielder currently impressing in Ligue 1.

The crafty playmaker has now insisted that the tactical approach at Liverpool didn't suit his style of play, suggesting that injuries hindered his progress under both Roy Hodgson and Kenny Dalglish.

"I just didn't play enough. I was suspended and then came back into a struggling side and, under Roy [Hodgson], the tactics didn't suit me.

"I'd never criticize him – he had a tough job at the time – but the team wasn’t playing well and, when that happens, the first players to be dropped are always the flair players and the youngsters. That's just the way it is."

Since arriving at Liverpool on a free transfer under Hodgson, Cole came under a lot of criticism for his inflated wages and persistent struggles with fitness. During his spell at Anfield, Cole cost Liverpool £157,000 per game played and £1.2 million per goal, but his form since joining Lille has shown he is still a player of immense talent.

The former England midfielder - who recently revealed he hopes to resurrect his international career - has claimed that he constantly felt the need to prove his worth under Kenny Dalglish, and is now looking forward to the prospect of permanently playing in France.

"Under Kenny [Dalglish] I'd had a few injuries and the side was settled. As a youngster, at West Ham and Chelsea, I'd been lucky enough to make an impact when I came on and earned the chance to stay involved. At Liverpool, I felt like a young player again.

"I always needed to do something special just to earn another chance. And it didn't happen for me. I'm not going to blame anyone else and I like the club and I'm sure they'll get where they need to go. But I had to come here and play again.

“I could join Lille permanently. If they are happy with me, and vice versa, I don’t see why not," Cole revealed to the People.

“Lille has quality players, and there’s an unbeatable mood in the dressing room. I benefit from it every day and I am enjoying myself. There is a superb team spirit at the club. I love playing here.”

No comments: