Sunday, October 23, 2011

Glen: Kenny Inspires My Best

Glen Johnson claims Kenny Dalglish brings the best out in him – by allowing him to play his natural game.

The full-back admits he was sometimes asked to curtail his attacking instincts under previous boss Roy Hodgson.

Johnson said: "Kenny knows I am an attacking full-back and he wants me to attack whereas maybe Roy didn't want me to attack as much. That jarred the team a bit. I've always been an outlet on the right and everyone knows that.

"When I wasn't getting forward as much I wasn't there for them to hit the diagonal passes so it slowed the game down. Now I'm able to do what I do - to just play.

"Kenny has helped me like he's helped everyone here. He's a good guy. He's always there having a joke with the lads but he lets you know when it's time to knuckle down and work hard. It's just a more relaxed approach which I think makes everyone relax and perform that bit better.

"Training is miles different now than it was. It's a lot shorter and sharper, you are bouncing from one exercise to another. There's a lot less waiting and standing around. You get more touches and it's livelier. It's more enjoyable."

Johnson had offers to join other clubs before signing for Liverpool in 2009 - but he is still convinced he made the right decision despite a trophyless start to his Anfield career.

"If I had gone to Chelsea, I wouldn't have had to move house and things would have been easier," he said.

"Leaving London was a big move but I still believe I made the right decision. I was pleased to do it then and I'm still pleased now.

"I came to this club to win trophies. No-one signs for a club like Liverpool and is happy with not winning anything.

"The good thing is that everybody is pushing towards that. We all want the same thing.

"The new owners have come in, we've signed some great players and we've got a brilliant team.

"On and off the pitch things are going in the right direction."

No comments: