Saturday, October 15, 2011

Dalglish Wants New Reds Deals

Kenny Dalglish is confident that Liverpool icons Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher can lead the team for many more years to come.

Both players' contracts are set to expire in June 2013, but the Reds boss says the 31-year-old skipper, and 33-year-old vice-captain can carry on well beyond that.

"I haven't a crystal ball, I don't know how long he [Gerrard] has left, how long it will be," said Dalglish. "Maybe once he gets back into the swing of things he will have a better idea himself.

"Whatever he wants to do we will go along with and for me both him and Carra are fantastic examples. Both of them are two people who everybody else can look up to.

"Carra and Steven have been fantastic for this football club whether they are playing or not playing. Anybody who is an asset to the football club I am sure we will look forward to keeping."

With the new set-up at Anfield, it's Liverpool's director of football Damien Comolli who has the final say on player contracts, but Dalglish sees no reason why age should be a factor when offering new deals.

"I got a long contract when I was 33 which I couldn't believe," he continued. "For me it doesn't matter about age.

"I am not rigid. If I was asked how long someone's contract should be I do not have any hard and fast rules. Everyone is different."

No comments: