Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Kelly Eyes Derby Clash

Liverpool defender Martin Kelly is crossing his fingers he has a chance to impress in the Merseyside derby with Everton.

The Reds tackle their neighbours at Goodison Park on Saturday, although the 21-year-old knows there are no guarantees he will feature.

Kelly played in the 2-2 draw with Everton at Anfield last season, but he missed their 2-0 defeat away to the Toffees.

The talented youngster impressed in Liverpool's weekend win over Wolves and is hoping he has done enough to stay in Kenny Dalglish's side.

Kelly has been hindered by hamstring problems this year, but he insists those issues are in the past as he is now feeling 'fitter than ever'.

"I'm really looking forward to playing in the derby if I'm selected," he told the Liverpool Echo.

"I was on the bench there last season and it was a tough game. They started well and put us under pressure. We'll be looking for the win but it's a derby day and it's always difficult.

"I'm feeling good. The medical staff has worked me a lot this week to keep me on top of the hamstring injury.

"It was about being sensible against Wolves and I thought I did that. I'm made up I've played the last two games and I'm feeling fitter than ever."

No comments: