Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Joe Cole Eyes Permanent Move To Lille

Joe Cole has admitted he would be happy to make a permanent move to French side Lille at the end of his season-long loan from Liverpool.

Following a frustrating season at Anfield in which the midfielder struggled to make an impact, the 29-year-old moved to the Ligue 1 champions in search of regular football.

"I talked to manager Rudi Garcia and he has the same game philosophy that I have, so I really wanted to come," Cole told L'Equipe.

"You have to make choices in life, and it was certainly not the simplest to me. The easy options were to remain in London or England.

"But I was excited. We are competing for the national title and I can play in the Champions League.

"Finally, it is a young team with great guys that really play good football and I have always dreamt of playing abroad."

He added: "Will I remain at Lille next season? That is possible. They are happy with me, and vice versa, so why not?

"We have started to build a bridge. I really love to play here. I hope it will be a success for everyone."

Cole believes that English players would benefit from moving abroad and experiencing different styles of the game.

"The English players get experience abroad which can enrich our national team," he said.

"In Italy, France or Spain, the game style is more Latin.

"The Premier League is not the best competition; it is just different and unique. Some people told me I was right to go abroad."

Cole scored a stunning goal for the French side in the 1-1 draw with Lorient on Saturday, and has enjoyed a successful start to his new club, even receiving a standing ovation from fans in his last match.

The midfielder has been absent from the national team for some time, but his recent form at Lille will cause many to question whether he should be put back in the side, although Cole admits this is not a priority for him.

"Will Fabio Capello watch Ligue 1? I hope so," he continued.

"It is not my major concern so far. First, I want to be consistently good.

"If I get called back into the national team, I would be the happiest man. I love to play for my country.

"When I lived in Chelsea, everyday there were paparazzi in front of my door. At Lille, I can walk in the streets confidently. People are polite and respectful. It is great to enjoy the city freely.

"Anyway, in England you are forced to deal with the press, you don't have any choice. If I had any choice, I would have liked to never be famous. We are just footballers, aren't we?

"At Lille, I found quality players with unequalled joie de vivre in the changing room. I enjoy myself and I have fun every day. There is a great atmosphere. It reminds me of my first season at Chelsea."

One man who has particularly caught Cole’s eye since joining the French champions is rising star Eden Hazard, who has been linked with a move to the Premier League, and is certainly one to watch for the future.

He continued: "Everyone is talking about him in England. Hazard is the best young player I have ever seen at such an age.

"He has everything to become one of the best players in the world."

No comments: