Thursday, September 01, 2011

Downing Eyes England Spot

Liverpool winger Stewart Downing has revealed he hopes to emulate former Aston Villa team-mate Ashley Young and earn a regular spot in Fabio Capello's England squad.

Young has become a regular fixture in Capello's starting XI over the past year, scoring his first international goals against Denmark in February and Switzerland in June.

His form for club and country saw him secure a big-money move to Manchester United this summer, while Downing also moved on from Villa Park, joining Kenny Dalglish's Liverpool in July.

Speaking ahead of England's Euro 2012 qualifier in Bulgaria on Friday the former Middlesbrough winger stated his determination to join Young in the England starting line-up.

"Ashley's progress does act as an inspiration, and not only for me. We all have to be ready to be called upon by Fabio Capello," said the 27-year-old.

"There is competition for places. He [Young] has seen people competing with him for a place in the team and he's grabbing it with both hands which we all have to do when given the chance.

"I hope I can go from strength to strength with England. I'm enjoying my football at the minute. I'm playing with a lot of confidence and I am hoping to be involved a lot more.

"There are a lot of players here from the top four or five clubs. I think the competition for places is quite strong.

"It is good for England, good for the squad. It keeps people on their toes.

"It's probably a headache for the manager but I'm sure it's one he would like."

No comments: