Friday, September 30, 2011

Distin Plots Suarez Shutout

Sylvain Distin has sung the praises of Luis Suarez, but the Frenchman does not fear the Liverpool striker as the Merseyside derby approaches.

The Reds cross Stanley Park to face the Blues at Goodison Park on Saturday, as Kenny Dalglish returns to the dugout for the derby for the first time in 20 years.

The Liverpool boss quit shortly after he saw his side draw 4-4 with Everton in 1991 and the weekend is sure to be an emotional affair.

Distin, meanwhile, has earmarked Suarez as the man likely to be the ringleader of Everton's tormentors, but expects to be able to deal with the threat of the 24-year-old.

“Luis seems to be a great player, an amazing player with great quality who can score goals. But he won’t be the first great striker I have played against," the Toffees centre-back told the Liverpool Echo.

“I have been here for 10 years, I don’t know how many games I have played, but I have played against players like Thierry Henry, Alan Shearer, Didier Drogba, Nicolas Anelka, Fernando Torres. I could give you 50 names of top strikers I have played against.
“I played against [Edin] Dzeko and Aguero last weekend, so it is just going to be another good challenge, and one which I will enjoy. I can’t wait.

“I actually think Aguero and Suarez are very similar in the way they are built physically, and the way they play. It will be another good test.”

No comments: