Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Coates Relishing Fresh Challenge

Sebastian Coates insists the challenge of adapting to a new country and making a name for himself were the reasons behind his Liverpool switch.

The Uruguay international moved to Anfield before the transfer window closed and he made his debut in Sunday's 4-0 defeat to Tottenham at White Hart Lane.

Coates has achieved success in his homeland with Nacional and at international level and wants to replicate that at a new club in unfamiliar surroundings.

The rising star knows the game's biggest players have achieved success wherever they go and he wants to become a crucial player in Liverpool's history.

"The biggest attraction was the challenge: to come to an unfamiliar place - a huge club - and make a name for myself," he told LFC magazine.

"So far in my career, I have been very lucky; to play for Nacional, to play in the Copa Libertadores, to win the Copa America. There has been a lot of success in a short period of time. But I have achieved that in a place where I am most comfortable.

"Now, I am here, in a different country, in a different league, with different team-mates. The best players are successful wherever they go. I am determined to become an important player here at a historical stage of the club's future."

The central defender also admits that some of compatriot Luis Suarez's words had a big influence on his decision to join Liverpool over the summer.

"(Suarez) helped me from a professional point of view," he added.

"I knew about the history; the success and the European Cups, but he also taught me about the nature of the supporters - the way they treat the players.

"When you're wanted by a club that is famous worldwide - by a club with a history like this - it was impossible to go anywhere else."

No comments: