Monday, September 12, 2011

Carragher Anticipates First-Team Fight

Liverpool veteran Jamie Carragher admits he’s in a battle to keep his first team place at Anfield.

The 33-year-old’s error against Bolton cost the Reds a clean-sheet in a 3-1 win against Owen Coyle’s side, and the defender was again at fault when he was adjudged to have fouled Jonathan Walters on Saturday, with the Stoke striker converting the subsequent penalty in a 1-0 win for the Potters.

Sebastian Coates’ arrival from Nacional has added further competition for a starting spot in the centre back position on Merseyside, and Carragher knows he can’t rest on his laurels expecting to start every game.

"Young players at the club say, 'I have to be like Carra in training' because they can see that I put in a shift in every session," he told The Times.

"But why should I rest on my laurels just because I have been in the top flight for so long?

"I am always looking to up my game because I feel that I still have something to prove. Even today some Liverpool fans are asking questions about my age and how long I will last.

"The club has just signed a new centre-back who will be knocking at the door. There is no room for complacency."

No comments: