Saturday, September 17, 2011

Carra Still Has Plenty To Offer Kenny's Reds

Jamie Carragher came in for criticism after Liverpool's 1-0 loss at Stoke but TEAMtalk's Sam Nightingale feels he still has plenty to offer.

Carragher brought down City striker Jonathan Walters as the two battled for the ball at the Britannia Stadium and referee Mark Clattenburg pointed to the spot before Walters fired in the penalty.

Granted Carragher, 33, is in the latter stages of his career but for some Reds fans to call for the player to be axed after a couple of recent mistakes is premature.

Has Carragher ever been blessed with natural pace? No, but what Carragher lacks in pace he more than makes up with his tough tackling, combative style and leads by example.

The defender is a role model to the club's younger players and will no doubt be passing on his experience.

Ahead of the clash against Stoke, Carragher had spoken about his place in the team and told The Times: "Young players at the club say, 'I have to be like Carra in training' because they can see that I put in a shift in every session."

"But why should I rest on my laurels just because I have been in the top flight for so long?

"I am always looking to up my game because I feel that I still have something to prove. Even today some Liverpool fans are asking questions about my age and how long I will last.

"The club has just signed a new centre-back who will be knocking at the door. There is no room for complacency."

Carragher isn't taking his place for granted and still has an important role to play for Liverpool in a key season for the club.

No comments: