Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Striker Backs Exeter City To Spring Carling Cup Shock Against Liverpool

Striker Daniel Nardiello says there is no reason why Exeter City can't recreate one of the greatest moments of his career against Liverpool tomorrow.

The former Manchester United trainee was in the Barnsley side which completed a huge FA Cup shock when they beat the Reds 2-1 at Anfield in 2008, thanks to Brian Howard's dramatic injury-time winner in front of the Kop.

And Nardiello says the Grecians have what it takes to help him maintain his 100 per cent record against Liverpool when they visit St James's Park for their Carling Cup second round tie.

"I have played them once before and won with Barnsley, so it would be nice if we could do it again. It was one of the best games I have ever played in and there's no reason why we can't do the same," Nardiello said.

"It's brilliant, we couldn't have had a better draw – with that and Plymouth in the other cup the following week, it's fantastic for us.

"It's a massive game. Hopefully they are going to bring some players down and we are just going to go for it because we have got nothing to lose. I think we will all go out there and enjoy it.

"I don't think you can totally relax but you can definitely enjoy the experience, enjoy the atmosphere and it's just a great day for the fans, players and the club. A couple of the lads support Liverpool so we can't wait for it.

"I'm a Man United fan so I would always like to get one over on the Scousers!"

Nardiello will be hoping to retain his place in the starting XI for tomorrow's game. The forward started at Preston North End on Saturday – his first game since picking up a hamstring injury on the opening day of the season at Stevenage – and he completed the full 90 minutes.

The 28-year-old reported that he felt no effects of the physical problems which have hampered his start to the campaign during the match at Deepdale, so is looking forward to continuing his return to full fitness by playing at least some part against Liverpool.

Nardiello said: "I only had my first full training session on Friday and I did a little bit last Thursday. I had a bit of cramp at the end of the game but it's 90 minutes under my belt and it's a step forward, so hopefully I can carry on and get some more minutes against Liverpool and then there's a big game against Chesterfield.

"When we were down to 10 men the manager told me to stay in the middle, to not run around. It did me a favour. It conserved my energy and I managed to get a few chances.

"I got a full 90 minutes, which I wasn't expecting at all, so it was brilliant for me after the injections I have had in my back. Hopefully I can build on that now. I feel fantastic, it's just my fitness now. My back and my hamstrings feel great."

Nardiello's return to fitness coincided with strike partner Guillem Bauza's own inclusion in City's starting line-up for the first time.

That means the Grecians' strikers crisis is slowly abating, as Richard Logan is also in contention to be involved against Liverpool following a hamstring strain of his own.

But one player who is highly unlikely to face the Premier League giants is full-back Steve Tully after the 31-year-old was harshly sent off for bringing Neil Mellor down in the box on Saturday.

As a result City's vice-captain is suspended from tomorrow's game and Nardiello admits he has a lot of sympathy for his teammate.

"In my opinion, and a lot of the lads' opinions, I don't even know what the referee's seen (to send Tully off).

"Even their defender said to me 'that's a bit harsh' (when the referee awarded a penalty) and then to get the red card as well? I don't know what they were thinking, but these things happen," Nardiello said.

"It's very harsh for Steve to miss the Liverpool game, but that's what happens now. It's a horrible game to miss but we will have him back for the important game next Saturday."

No comments: