Saturday, August 20, 2011

Kuyt Wants Arsenal Start

Liverpool forward Dirk Kuyt has revealed that he was disappointed not to have started against Sunderland last weekend but hopes to feature against Arsenal on Saturday.

The Dutch international striker was left on the bench by manager Kenny Dalglish in the Premier League opener at Anfield and was brought on only after the hour-mark.

The game ended in a 1-1 draw and although Kuyt says that he is pleased with the result, he admits that it was not easy for him to watch from the bench.

"I'm happy we're on the way now," Kuyt told Liverpool's official website. "The draw against Sunderland wasn't what we were hoping for - we wanted three points, but that's behind us now and a really big game is waiting for us on Saturday.

"I am feeling very well. It's my first full pre-season in many years. Last year, for example, I had two weeks to prepare for the season, but this year I had a full pre-season and I have to say I am feeling fitter than ever.

"I am desperate to play and was disappointed not to start on Saturday, but the manager needs to decide who he's going to pick - and hopefully he's going to pick me for the next game."

The former Feyenoord striker is also confident of a successful 2011-12 campaign and enthused: "I am very excited by the new season. I think the owners and manager have done a great job with the players who have come in January and the summer.

"It's very positive, we have a great squad, but it's now up to the players to show we are also a great team and have the ability to compete with the best."

Kuyt, who has established himself as one of the key players for Liverpool with his versatility and work ethic, is also enthusiastic about summer signings Jordan Henderson, Charlie Adam, Alexander Doni, Stewart Downing and Jose Enrique.

"I think they've settled in very well," stated the 31-year-old. "A big plus for them, and for us, was that most of them arrived in pre-season so we could train and work with them during pre-season and get to know them better. That was very good and I think they've all done very well and are happy to be here.

"It's the job of everyone (to welcome new players), whether you are experienced or not. We have to try to help each other because at the end of the day, we need each other if we want to achieve something.

"You always try to make the new lads feel welcome. I think I did and the rest of the lads did as well, so hopefully we can have a great season together."

No comments: