Monday, August 15, 2011

Injury-hit Rangers To Step Up Bid For Danny Wilson

Rangers are expected to step up their efforts to take their former player Danny Wilson back on loan from Liverpool, to strengthen the defence of the Ibrox side.

Manager Ally McCoist has been keen to secure the return of another former Ibrox hero, Carlos Cuellar, but the club has admitted that there will be no move for the injured Aston Villa player in this transfer window.

Now McCoist is likely to turn to Wilson, who impressed for Scotland against Denmark last week and could slot in immediately if a short-term release can be agreed with Liverpool.

Rangers have David Weir injured, and he could be joined on the sidelines by fellow defender Kyle Bartley, who limped out of his team's match at Inverness on Saturday after half an hour.

Asked about Cuellar, the Rangers manager said: "It's done for this window and it's purely and simply down to getting somebody in to play.

"I don't need to tell you what I think of Carlos, I think he is a top-class defender. I would welcome him with open arms but we need somebody to play. I wouldn't say I wouldn't be interested in going back in for him."

Bartley was replaced by youngster Ross Perry, who was also struggling by the end of the game, with Rangers' defensive options already severely limited ahead of the Europa League play-off match away to Maribor on Thursday.

McCoist added: "I don't think David Weir will make it, Lee McCulloch will probably have a chance. Sasa Papac is suspended but I would hope Steven Whittaker won't be too far away."

New signing Dorin Goian, who will be at the heart of a potentially makeshift Rangers defence, warned: "We are going to play a good team and I know that from last year because I played against them with Palermo. We have to be careful."

No comments: